Hello IU ladies! When I decided to post on the blog I was thinking of what I was going to title my entry and an old country song came in my head. I don’t really remember it too well but the lines that are on repeat in my head go something like, “it’s been a long time glad to see your face, I knew we’d meet again another time another place….just send a fax or send me a letter, or give me a call that would even be better”. I know Susan would know what song that is, I remember her playing it really loud on her car stereo our sophomore year. I was thinking that “or post on the blog that would even be better” might be a good addition. What a good idea this was to keep everyone in touch! What would we do without the internet?
My life over the past 2.5 years has been a soap opera to say the least. In 2004 I was having a really hard time finding a job in Colorado Springs without a graduate degree so I moved to Syracuse, New York to go to school and get a clinical doctorate degree in Audiology. At that time I was under the assumption Chad would come live with me after the Olympics & we’d finally have the chance to start a ‘real’ life together. Well, that’s not quite how it worked out and the ‘failure to move’ was just one of many signals and happenings that made me realize my marriage was in bad shape. I was really embarrassed that after only 2 years of marriage I was in need of help! At that point, I really pulled away from family & friends, not wanting them to realize that I had issues and wanting everyone to continue to think I was doing great but ‘busy’. Well, the shit really hit the fan the summer of 2006 and I began the beginnings of a pretty traumatic divorce process and what I call a ‘self awakening’. I finally realized what I wanted from life, what my dreams for life are and that shit happens. I fell in love with a fellow doc student at SU (in counseling psychologyJ ), tried to save my marriage because that’s what I thought you were supposed to do, realized my marriage was a REALLY bad fit, separated, divorced, ran away to hide for awhile, and got pregnant in 2007. Unmarried with the ink still fresh on my divorce papers, I was PREGNANT. AHHH! I had just started my final year of ‘residency’ at a VA hospital in Tampa and just when life seemed to be settling down I made the decision to try and hide my pregnancy from Chad and his family (for many reasons). So, yet again, I pulled away from friends, not wanting to put them in the awkward position of knowing and not being able to tell, and I hid in my little shell until the baby was born.
James Keats Overman-Smith was born on October 16, 2007 after 49 hours of labor, weighing in at 10 pounds 3 ounces. (The birth story is a whole other 3 page letter I’d be happy to share with you up on request J ). His birth has really given me the courage to realize and act on, yet again, what is important in life. I’m done hiding, I’m done pushing away family and friends and I’m ready to move on from all the negative forces of my past. I can truly say that I am happier and more grounded than I have ever been. I’m head over heels in love with my Lance and my Keats and life is pretty awesome. He’s a HUGE baby, weighing in at almost 16 pounds at just about 15 weeks. I’m not sure where he came from!
So, I feel like there are so many of you that were pushed away and I want to say I’m sorry! I hope that sharing some of my story will make you feel connected. I really want to be available as a friend and now as a friend who has been through the shit and come out on the other side. Lance, Keats and I are going to be living in Bloomington while Lance finishes up his dissertation and I job search. We’re thinking of settling down in the Northeast (Burlington) or maybe even B-town if we can swing it. We’ll have a place to crash at for anyone who wants to visit, whenever they want.
I can’t believe all of the weddings/engagements/babies that I didn’t know about! WOW!! Love is in the air! How exciting! I’d love to catch up with you all (especially you, Megan Geers!)
Xoxoxoxo
Margaret
“Give the kids a kiss for me and say hello to the family, tell them all my future’s looking bright.. yeah, I miss ‘em but I’m doing all right”
Oh yeah, here are some pictures (one of them especially for Erin). You are welcome to check out our blog at babykeats.blogspot.com. It’s mostly just picture updates.


Thursday, January 24, 2008
Catching Up!
Posted by Hoosiers at 5:55 AM
Labels: Babies, Being a Rockstar, Margaret, Top 5 Posts on this Blog
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
12 comments:
Marg-You are truly an inspiration. You are at such a great point in your life and I have to believe that everything happens for a reason. I am so proud to have you as a friend. Looking forward to more fun times together--and if you need a babysitter for a night out with Lance, I am your girl! :) Love you! Char ;)
marg --
it is so great to hear from you. keats is BEAUTIFUL :)
The song is Jo Dee Messina/I'm Alright. The one I think of when I read your post is "She said 'I bet you don't remember me,' I said, 'Only every other memory!'"
Miss you like crazy girl, let's catch up soon
suz
This was such an amazing post! You have touched my heart and made me cry!! And I am in bloomington! I can babysit if you ever want a night off! Lets get together sometime soon! ~Colleen Just shoot me an email...leaner345@gmail.com
First, 10lbs 3oz!!!! Out of you? What? I mean, how has anyone gotten past that, because I haven't. My sister at 6 feet, weighing in at 200+ lbs had a 9lb 8oz baby and couldn't even swing it. After 12 hours of labor they had to do a c-section, and his poor little nose was all bent to the side from being smashed in the canal. Second, hilarious prego picture - I mean, you could tell that was going to be a big baby.
Great to hear from you, I had heard bits and pieces thru word on the street, it's nice to know where you are now!
-Smitty
Marg aka Scoobie,
It is so good to hear from you! Your baby is beautiful!!! I am so sorry for everything that you have had to go through, but I really appricate you sharing with all of us, and am so happy that things are great now. You are such a strong person. Please Please email me so we can catch up geers@marshall.edu I can't wait to hear about all your new adventures!
Meg aka Sparky Geers
Margaret,
Whoa, what an update, and Keats is a dollbaby, so cute.
I'm so happy that you are happy now.
I'll be checking for new pics of keats on your blog!
hugs
maggie
I am so glad to hear you are doing well and you are so very happy! To say that your relationship with Chad was a mistake was pretty harsh and what would happen if he actually read this blog one day...don't you think he would be crushed! You and Chad's marriage should not be looked at as a mistake but as a learning experience and you should value your past and not regret anything..because you learn everyday even if it is a mistake. Chad is an awesome person and has a very caring heart and I would never post anything about an ex or should I say I would never post something with so much personal insight with hurtful words like you did. Good luck to you and your future!
To the previous poster, please do not return to our website and post your b.s. again. This is a place where former Hoosier swimmers and divers reconnect and keep up with each others lives, and I don't think you fall into that category. I think it is slightly stalkerish and creepy to hunt out our friend Margaret and find her on our blogger. If you could read, she never said anything about her marriage being a mistake and also didn't say anything bad about Chad's character. I think you know she could have shared a lot more details about how things all really went down, but Margaret has too much decency and integrity to do that. Until you go through the same thing don't act all high and mighty and say you wouldn't post something on a PRIVATE blog about an ex. Margaret is our girl and we love her, so in the future keep your comments to yourself and don't come back to our site. I love you Margaret, and remember everyone that should be coming to this site supports you fully!
I second that, admitedly! Amen.
May I also add, WTF?
it is really brave to judge someone from behind an anonymous screen name. it must be great to live your idyllic life in your super secret hidden ivory tower where you never make any mistakes.
you know what is great? taking risks and learning from our experiences and the amazing friendships and support from this group that get us through that.
I LOVE you ladies!! That comment is EXCACTLY the reason I 'hid' for so long, I was worried that people would judge. And the reason I posted was because I don't care anymore.. it is so FREEING! It doesn't matter what people say and think as long as we follow our heart and be our authentic selves! I'm so happy you ladies know how to read too :) You don't find the word 'mistake' or 'regret' anywhere, you see that I learned who I really am and what I want... that is priceless! I hope the writer somehow finds the same courage to be their authentic self & not hide from what others think of their thoughts/opinions actions. WHOA BABY! love love love you ladies!
Hi Margerita,
I miss you. I have not been able to contact you.
You know my name: Dorky.Butt@us.army.mil!
XO
Tigger and Sophie say "Hi!"
Tinkerbell
I am so proud of you, Margie. Certain muscles?
Post a Comment